Pasta is a staple food of traditional Italian cuisine, with the first reference dating to 1154 in Sicily. Also commonly used to refer to the variety of dishes made with it, pasta is a type of noodle typically made from an unleavened dough of a durum wheat flour mixed with water or eggs, and formed into sheets or various shapes, then cooked by boiling or baking. Some pastas are made using rice flour or legumes like black beans or lentils in place of wheat flour to yield a different taste and texture, or for those who need to avoid products containing gluten.
Pastas may be divided into two broad categories: dried (pasta secca) and fresh (pasta fresca). Most dried pasta is produced commercially via an extrusion process, although it can be produced at home. Fresh pasta is traditionally produced by hand, sometimes with the aid of simple machines. Fresh pastas available in grocery stores are produced commercially by large-scale machines.
Both dried and fresh pastas come in a number of shapes and varieties, with 310 specific forms known by over 1300 documented names. In Italy, the names of specific pasta shapes or types often vary by locale. For example, the pasta form cavatelli is known by 28 different names depending upon the town and region. Common forms of pasta include long and short shapes, tubes, flat shapes or sheets, miniature shapes for soup, those meant to be filled or stuffed, and specialty or decorative shapes.
In terms of nutrition, cooked plain pasta is 31% carbohydrates (mostly starch), 6% protein, and low in fat, with moderate amounts of manganese, but pasta generally has low micronutrient content. Pasta may be enriched or fortified, or made from whole grains.
In cooking, al dente describes pasta that is cooked to be firm to the bite. The etymology is Italian "to the tooth".
In contemporary Italian cooking, the term identifies the ideal consistency for pasta and involves a brief cooking time. Molto al dente is the culinary term for slightly undercooked pasta. Undercooking pasta is used in the first round of cooking when a pasta dish is going to be cooked twice.
Pasta that is cooked al dente has a lower glycemic index than pasta that is cooked soft.
Café De Boston proudly serves homemade fresh pasta cooked per order in front of our customers. We accept take-out orders placed online for our customers that want to save time and order ahead. Corporate catering includes pasta options also and it can be ordered online. Gluten free pasta available.
1. ZITI ALFREDO - Fresh Ziti, Grilled Chicken, Broccoli & Alfredo Sauce
2. ZITI MEATBALL - Fresh Ziti, Meatballs, Pepper, Onion & Tomato Basil Sauce
3. LINGUINE ALFREDO - Fresh Linguine, Tomato, Green Peas, Portabella Mushroom & Alfredo Sauce
4. TORTELLINI PESTO - Fresh Tortellini, Tomato, Broccoli, Onion & Pesto Sauce
5. BOWTIE PRIMAVERA - Bowtie, Onion, Pepper, Green Peas, Broccoli, Mushrooms & Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
6. SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE - Fresh Spaghetti, Parmesan Cheese & Bolognese (Meat) Sauce
FRESH PASTA with Sea Food
1. SHRIMP ARRABBIATA - Fresh Linguine, Shrimp, Diced Tomato, Onion, Parsley, Fresh Basil, Lemon Juice & Arrabbiata Sauce
2. SHRIMP SCAMPI - Fresh Linguine, Shrimp, Spinach, Green Peas, Tomato, Mushroom, Lemon, Butter, Garlic & Olive Oil
3. SHRIMP ALFREDO - Fresh Ziti, Shrimp, Broccoli, Green Peas, Tomato, Onion & Alfredo Sauce
Build Your Own
1. CHOOSE YOUR PASTA - Fresh Linguine, Fresh Ziti, Fresh Spaghetti, Fresh Cheese Tortellini, Bowtie, Gluten Free Ziti
2. CHOOSE YOUR SAUCE - Tomato Basil, Spicy Arrabbiata, Alfredo Romano, Basil Pesto, Primavera, Bolognese
3. CHOOSE YOUR PROTEIN - Grilled Chicken, Meatball, Chicken Sausage, Cajun Chicken
4. CHOOSE YOUR TOPPINGS - Pick any three vegetables
ADD SHRIMP - $3.00
Café de Boston is a marketplace eatery, a new expression of fast-casual dining blending made-to-order, self-serve and take-out fare.
Serving fresh breakfast and lunch options in Boston’s bustling Financial District, Café de Boston offers myriad stations of diverse global cuisines that satisfy just about any craving. Variety, value, freshness and flavor drive the menu, which features over 100 items made from scratch daily using all-natural, seasonal, and whenever possible, organic ingredients.